CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline: Sunday 6th January 2013 (Midnight)
Bursary: £1 200
Visual and Media artists, UK and beyond, are invited to apply for a three-week research residency, a joint collaboration between ISIS Arts and NGI (Newcastle Gateshead Initiative), Newcastle Upon Tyne (UK), to take place between February and end of April 2013.
The residencies are open to regional, national and international artists working in the field of visual and media art with a particular interest (but not limited to) the use of technologies and digital media in the creation of artworks.
We are particularly interested in receiving proposals from artists who visualise data as a part of their practise. The artist will gain access to NGI’s Dashboard of statistics and data – encompassing information gathered in relation to the destination of NewcastleGateshead (including perceptions, partner organisation statistics, and website and visitor information) as well as NewcastleGateshead Initiative organisational data. The artist would work alongside the Culture Team and Research Team.
This is an opportunity for artists to spend time in a self-contained city centre studio space to research a new project or idea without the constraints of having to necessarily produce a body of work; the emphasis for this residency is on research not on finished art works.
There is a bursary of £1200 for the minimum of a three-week period (to include all materials, travel and accommodation costs). Artists may apply individually or as part of a group (however the award per residency will not change).
All artists will have access to ISIS equipment, critical support and introductions to arts networks in the region. The artist is expected to be mostly self-reliant and familiar with the media they want to use.
All artists are expected to present their work at ISIS as part of an artist talk event.
• Artists that share our interest in working in social and political contexts.
• Experience of using digital media and technologies in the creation of art works.
• Experience of visualising data in the creation of art works.
• The ability to research, interpret and present ideas.
• Experience of working on fixed term residencies with deadlines.
• A professional practice, undergraduate students are not eligible.
To apply please include:
• Residency description – Outline your idea(s) for research, what you plan to achieve and how you plan to deliver this (maximum 1x A4 sheet)
• Short statement about why you want to work with ISIS Arts and how the residency would further your practice.
• Artist Statement and current CV
• Supporting material/documentation of previous work – on-line links preferred.
• List of preferred dates for residency (between February and April 2013)
Please email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Research Residency_(Your name)_2013’
If you have any queries about this opportunity and application process please email email@example.com or phone +44 (0)191 261 44 07
DEADLINE: Sunday 6th January 2013 (Midnight). All applicants will be notified by mid-January 2013.
Go to Isis Arts for further information.